RAWSPORTZ 2017 CENTRAL SECTION TOP 25 WEEK 2 FOOTBALL RANKINGS
(Rankings are not division rated, based on team vs team match ups)
1. BAKERSFIELD – Showed great defense and enough offense to get it done against possibly the top defense(Edison) in the valley.
2. CENTRAL – Has the best offense in the valley with a loaded backfield and if the Offensive/Defensive lines can gel, they might be wearing a ring on their finger that says valley champs.
3. LIBERTY– Has a very solid team in all facets of the game. Played a tough game against Clovis West but need to finish their games stronger.
4. CLOVIS WEST – Virtually a dead tie with Liberty but they are the team with more potential. Junior QB Chachere can do similar things to A Martinez so keep an eye on him in the playoffs.
5. BUCHANAN – The true Dark horse of Division 1 this year. One of the best thunder and lighting duos at RB in Milton and Ervin. If Bailey gets the nod and lives up to his potential watch out!
6. CLOVIS – A solid but not overwhelming team in the Cougars this year. Big up front and solid on defense but no one says star to me on this squad but coaching will keep them in the hunt.
7. EDISON – In my opinion the best defense in the Central Section this year. Multiple D-1 scholarship players all over. The offense has potential but needs to translate that to points to win.
8. TULARE UNION – The fastest RB in the valley Kazmeir Allen complimented by two more stars at WR and QB this team may get in a few shoot outs but should win D-2 this year.
9. BAKERSFIELD CHRISTIAN – The Eagles Offense and whole team centers around Star QB Brandon Wingle. His injury was mild but they need to keep him upright to take D-3, CVC is no joke this week.
10. SJM – The most stacked Panther team I have seen in a long time. They are Solid on both sides of the ball, if they can stay injury free we should see them and the BC Eagles in the big show.
11. SANGER – They have a new coach Pena, new QB Wolfe and the same results, wins. Beat a rebuilding Fresno High team 42-0 and are off to week 2 against Hanford, expect a repeat of Week 1.
12. CENTENNIAL – Played against a solid team week 1 and kept it close. The Golden hawks need to ramp up their offense in Week 2 to get back in the conversation of Dark Horse.
13. BULLARD – Well I heard good things about the new Pro Style offense at Bullard. Central didn’t seem to care what anyone said, getting their revenge from last year and posting the goose egg on defense. Bullard needs to bounce back strong against Buchanan.
14. SELMA – The Selma surprise season is over but this team still is solid and the team to beat in D-4. Star Junior QB Ramirez will get this team wins but I’m over looking their schedule until a tough week 5 matchup vs Roosevelt.
15. CLOVIS NORTH – Almost the upset of the week and turned into the comeback of the week. They defeat Sunnyside 20-19 in a battle scoring 20 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. Rebuilding.
16. TULARE WESTERN – A young loaded Mustang team has Solid play in the offensive backfield and should challenge Tulare Union for the EYL crown. Can they beat BC and SJM? I don’t think so.
17. FRONTIER – The Titans have a big O-Line, run first mentality and a stud RB in Junior Ernest Jackson. If they can mold together as one efficient unit under their new coach watch out D-2.
18. CVC – A very talented Cavalier team led but two way Sophomore sensation Jalen Renning and explosive WR Brian Noel can challenge any team in D-4 look for them to go deep in the playoffs.
19. RIDGEVIEW – They lost some talent from last year due to graduation and a few transfers but don’t let that fool you. This is still a dangerous Wolfpack team and they that showed week 1.
20. DINUBA – Great QB play, runs the ball efficient and solid defense are a few things that describe the Emperors this year. Will they win D-2? A little too early to tell but they are talented.
21. REDWOOD – A solid Ranger squad is hard to judge. I want to give them the WYL crown now but it depends on Junior QB Hector Gonzalez’s development. Solid squad in a lot of key areas.
22. STOCKDALE – A move down to D-2 and being led by Senior QB Jaylen Smith should keep them in games. Couldn’t make it happen week 1 but look for them to bounce back and beat Independence.
23. GOLDEN WEST – The main challenger for Redwood in the WYL this year, they come in with a solid Senior QB Payton Allen and a stud on defense Josh Summers. Can this be the year they take it?
24. ROOSEVELT – This may turn out to be one of the best teams in Roosevelt history but after exacting revenge on Chowchilla week 1 they need to keep focused. QB Jordan De La Rosa is among the best in the Central Section.
25. SUNNYSIDE – Big expectations going into this year were slightly halted after an over confident Wildcat squad found a way to let their game vs Clovis North slip away. How will they rebound?
ON THE BUBBLE:
26. LEMOORE – Had a solid outing in week 1 beating a rebuilding Paso Robles team. Their are a lot of new faces leading this team and it is shaping out to be a great outlook for the future.
27. EXETER – The Monarchs have a solid squad returning this year stacked at multiple positions this year. Watch for their RB to make a big name for himself. They will be in the top 25 soon…
28. GARCES – A slow start on offense in week 1 but they did play a solid BC team lead by the Carr brothers as coaches. This young team will only get better as the season goes by.